Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Jubilee

Dear Brothers and Sisters in the City of Love:


I got something for you. After Monday night's thrilling end to Villanova's improbable run, I was inspired to write this letter. The Wildcat's second “shining moment” is the final brushstroke of the magical story I am about to tell you. I hope you take the time to read this through it’s entirety. The really good stuff is at the end. But first, a quick Bible lesson.

***

The Jews believe in a seven-year cycle. The seventh year is called the Shmita, or sabbath year. During this seventh year, Jews are required to “rest” the land which is rooted in the Genesis creation story and good agricultural practices. At some point along the way, they realized it was best to let the land recover every seven years so the soil could regain the essential nutrients needed to produce good crops. It was a rough year for some, but their reliance on G-d came with the hope that abundance awaited them the year(s) to come as a reward for their faithfulness.

In 1416 BC, the Israelites entered the Land of Canaan for the first time. In the Book of Leviticus, G-d commands Moses to talk about the importance of the seventh Shmita (every 49 years). It was known as the year of Jubilee. Debts were forgiven, slaves and prisoners were freed, and the “mercies of G-d” would manifest. Various numerical correlations are also interesting. For example, King David was thirty when he became King and reigned over Israel for forty years (70). Jesus, often considered the “Son of David,” arrived during the 30th Jubilee, and we are forty Jubilees removed from his ascension (70). More on this later.

***

I never cared to root for Philly teams growing up. My dad was from Miami, so he enjoyed watching “good sports” more than following local teams religiously. I loved watching Allen Iverson cross guys over, but they never put a team around him. I loved Curt Schilling until they let him leave town. I respected Brian Dawkins, but the head coach and quarterback didn’t do anything for me. I suppose Lindros was cool, but eight years doesn’t seem long enough, until it is. It’s been almost 8 years since the Phillies won the World Series and it feels much longer.

Celebrating that championship provided me something that I had never experienced before as a fan. My joy was shared with others. That World Series championship was the pinnacle of sports fandom in Philadelphia in recent memory. Unfortunately, the years that followed have not been kind to Philadelphia. A coaching regime in football crumbled to pieces, twice. An achilles tear ended greatness. I bought a Bynum jersey that I never wore, and the hockey team seems destined for mediocrity. Needless to say, it’s been a rough seven years.


This year was supposed to be different. I was all in. I wanted to believe in the “genius” of Chip Kelly. I silently rooted for the Eagles’ success, only to be met with a familiar disappointment known intimately by all Philly sports fan. Listening to 97.5 the Fanatic had become somewhat depressing over the last several months. The Eagles were in shambles, while the Sixers are still “rebuilding.” The Phillies might end up with a triple digit loss column, while the Flyers go quietly into the night. I remember radio hosts asking listeners for a way out of “the curse.” We even wondered if Pope Francis was going to give us a special “blessing” during his visit last year.

That all changed back in February. Truthfully, his was the first year I observed Lent. My wife was raised in the Methodist tradition and grew up giving up something every year. I found it interesting that many notable biblical events took place in measurements of forty. The Israelites wandered the desert for forty years along with each reign of King Saul, David and Solomon. Jesus also wandered the desert for forty days before beginning his ministry, and hung out with his disciples for forty more after he rose from the dead. All things considered, I decided to join my wife, and so, I gave up on 97.5 the Fanatic. I figured it would be an easy thing to give up since our teams are not great. I could clear my head of all the negativity associated with sub-par teams. I wanted to have a more positive outlook, so I said so long.

My journey through Lent was a strange one. I had to reapply for a position at my job. My wife also lost her Grandmother the day before her birthday. We had to go to Tennessee to say our goodbyes and spend time with family. When we arrived, the Big East tournament was almost over. The Villanova Wildcats played the Seton Hall Pirates for the Big East crown. They lost, but we already know that.

After that game, I didn’t have much faith in Villanova. I’ve seen them play down to inferior teams too often, and even though they have some “good” players, they’re not McDonald’s All-Americans. Getting bounced quickly the past three years didn’t help their cause much either until the improbable happened.

I didn’t pay much attention to Villanova besides noticing they made it through the first weekend, but then I watched them stomp Iowa and Miami before running up against Kansas. I didn’t expect them to win, but they did, and nobody saw what was coming against Oklahoma. It all got me think, is seven years long enough? Is this possible? Now here’s where things get interesting.

Everyone on the airwaves seemed high on Villanova while driving home from work Monday afternoon. I still wasn’t, but somehow, it finally made sense. I just needed to see it happen. This year was supposed to be Philly’s Shmita since winning the World Series in 2008. We were due for a “lean” sports year in our city. G-d had other plans, placing belief in our hearts. When Kris Jenkins pulled up from behind arc, I knew it was going in. I can’t tell you why or how. I just knew. It all made sense. I was overcome by a deep sense of relief, joy and gratitude. This is what makes sports so amazing. There was just something special about this day and that moment. I was yelling, fist pumping and crying all without trying to wake up my wife who didn’t stay up to witness the improbable.

I woke up Monday looking for a sign, any sign really. I had my interview for that job I was telling you about. I’ve been very conflicted about knowing if I was staying or going. I was getting interviewed by a kid that I had been teaching this school year. He wanted to know why I cared about him so much. I told him I saw a lot of myself in him. He said that sounded weird to him so he asked, “are you Jesus or something?” My simple reply, “I am” (John 8:58). Last September (2015), we entered our 70th Jubilee since the Jews entered their homeland. I didn’t understand why Marcus Paige had to hit that “miracle” shot to tie the game until I realized the true miracle was yet to come. With 74 points already on the board, Jenkins hits that three for a final score of 77. Perhaps this is why Jesus tells his disciples to forgive their brothers, “77 times” (Matt. 18:22). Maybe the Jubilee really is here. I think it is. Phil Martelli called it, and I just saw it happen. Grace and Peace be with you.

David

1 comment: